SorbettoBob SquareTorso

As you may remember, I made myself a Sorbetto which, although wearable, was somewhat disappointing, and remains at the bottom of the washing basket, waiting for me to get into a hand washing mood. 
 
I decided to give the pattern another chance. I attempted to adjust it to take into account the problems with the general shortness. I took care to do a good job. I used french seams for the first time, and they were a huge success. 
 
And then I stretched the neckline beyond recognition while attaching the bias binding. 
 
At this point I decided to try it on and see if it was worth saving. It was not. This top gives me all the womanly curves of SpongeBob SquarePants. It is now in the bin. 
 
As part of the learning curve that is sewing, I’m going to try and take one thing to remember away from each project. This time:
 
Take as much care at the end as at the beginning. Stop focussing on the new and shiny things on the horizon. 
 
The picture is entirely unrelated to the post, I know. I just rediscovered it in my photo stream. I found this skunk fabric while fabric shopping in France last summer. I really wanted to buy it, but I just don’t know what occasion calls for a skunk print dress. Any ideas?
Advertisements

Look! A Sorbetto!

 
Brussels is currently in the middle of a heatwave and I have worked with Icelandic people for too long and can no longer deal with hot weather. If this was Brighton, I would be sitting in the sea, probably with an angry seagull on my head, pecking in my hair hunting for snacks. Sadly there are no bodies of water which I would feel safe diving into in Brussels. This is a city which decided to cover over its river after turning it into an open air sewer. Les Belges sont fous.
 
During the last heatwave (last month), I came up with the idea of making myself a nice cool Sorbetto from a sari I had hanging around. I spent one boiling hot day cursing over the ironing board and sewing machine; a method which yielded surprisingly good results approximately eight hours later. Success!
 
Liking this top doesn’t come easily to me. The shape isn’t the best on me, so I have to balance the boxiness with some skinny jeans to avoid looking like a massive rectangle of unhappiness. I have an extremely long body, and this is a really short top, so I have to wear a vest underneath, and then that shows at the back so it looks a lot better with the cardie over it. I also think that, due to the shortness, the bust darts are a little high. I doubt you can see them over the general creasing on display in the pictures.
 
However, I am pleased with my handiwork on it. I had to be pretty accurate first time as it’s a really delicate fabric (silk, I think), and didn’t really react well to unpicking, or ironing, or anything, really. I made my own bias binding, also from silk, which was a bit of a mistake probably as, well, let’s just say that it didn’t enjoy the ironing process. The only Laura-based problems (excluding genetics and fabric choice) are with the binding, which came untucked at the back a little when sewing – it’s only visible inside though, so sssh! I won’t tell if you don’t!!
I’m pleased that I’ve managed to find a way to make this work in an outfit, rather than just shoving it into the back of the wardrobe and sulking about it. It’s first outing was a day in the office followed by a late night casual party. It even received a compliment from a colleague – turns out she sews as well! 
 
Apologies for the crap quality pictures. Ben’s a great photographer, but he lacks enthusiasm when it comes to taking pictures of my outfit on a phone when we’re already late!