Crystal is running a Seasonal Sew Wardrobe over in the Sew-A-Longs and Sewing Contests Facebook group, and as we all know, I love a good bandwagon to jump on and then fall off.
The premise is fairly straightforward – we have from February to May to sew a minimum of eight pieces which fit within a theme of your choosing. My theme is ‘things I can make in time to wear for my holiday, and things that I can make after my holiday to go with the holiday things so I can wear them when it’s cold’. Catchy, innit?
There’s some debate in this house as to whether I can maintain the sewing level required to produce one item every two weeks, but I’m going to give it a try. I’m bored of all my clothes, so this will give me a chance to branch out into some interesting new ones. I’ve finished the first three pieces, and I should be able to crack on with the others once I’m back from India, although choosing a jacket and a pair of trousers may have been foolish. Fingers crossed the abandoned trousers toile works out (reason for abandonment: I didn’t want to sew a side seam).
I created the look above on Polyvore- I just picked similar looking pieces from their library, so you’re just going to have to trust me that the colours I use will go together! The good news on that front is that I’ve made Ben check the ones I already own and he is content that they go well enough.
Top row, from left:
- Colette Oslo cardie for snuggling / Fabric to be purchased.
- So Zo Vest for layering / Pink jersey left over from Dolores Dress.
- Deer and Doe Plantain for living in / Grey jersey from Katie’s Instagram destash.
- Wear Lemonade Mona jacket for practicing my French / Purple ponte recently found in a local charity shop (which may not turn out to be a practical idea).
Bottom row, from left:
- Chinelo Bally Maxi Skirt for swooshing around / Liberty tana lawn factory seconds from Kat’s Fabrics on Ebay for this.
- Chinelo Bally Flare Skirt for surreptitious swooshing / Leopard print duvet cover (yes, I already have a leopard print skirt, this was meant to be the maxi but I cocked it up. Shut up, just shut up!).
- Gertie’s Knit Pencil Skirt for secret pyjamas / Purple ponte from charity shop haul.
- Pauline Alice Sorell Trousers because I can’t live in skirts alone / Blue denim from Paris.
To be honest, I’ve changed my mind about five times so far, so this is probably not going to be the wardrobe I end up with, but it’s nice to have a plan set down.
What do you think of my wardrobe plans? Ever participate in sewing challenges? Got any tips for actually finishing the damn list?