I don’t know about you, but I love starting afresh on 1st January, ready for new challenges and fun. I have high hopes for 2016, and one of those hopes is that I can make a bit more time for my little blog – I miss it!
2015 was a tough year for me. I was exhausted from my gruelling commute, there were some health scares in my family, I started a business with friends while still working full time, and money was tight so holidays became staycations where I beat myself up over relaxing instead of decorating our flat.
There were good times, too.
- My friend Marthe came to visit from Oslo for my birthday and we had a fantastic time at Hever Castle and out and about in Brighton.
- We took an anniversary trip to Paris and stayed in the wonderful Hotel Fabric (of course) in Oberkampf. I finally got to meet one of Ben’s French friends, who introduced us to the charming Butte aux Cailles neighbourhood.
- I tried West African food for the first time when my Ivorian and Ghanaian colleagues took us to 805 Restaurant in London (it’s also popular with the cast of Star Wars!).
- We formed a pub quiz team and won enough money in six months to pay for a team Quizmas Dinner. With a whole year of quizzing in 2016, we should be able to cover the drinks next time, too! GO QUIZZLY BEARS!!!
- I took my mum on a birthday tour of a nuclear power station; something I’d been promising/threatening to do for about fifteen years.
- I found a massive pile of zips in my favourite local charity shop £2.
I’m sure there was other good stuff, but these are the memories which come to mind right now.
I’ve made some changes to my life already in 2016. I will now be working from home, and only 50% of my old full time hours. Taking my old working hours and commute into account, I’ll have something like an extra seven hours a day to dedicate to my business and my life. I’m really excited!
Happy new year, everyone!