Blog photo opportunities are hard to come by these days – I made this Lady Skater in March to fit in with the Stashbusting Sewalong theme of sewing with patterns we already have. I mean, I bought the fabric especially, because I only have one piece of jersey in my stash and it wasn’t big enough. Also, it was very hard to leave gold jersey in the shop. Stashbusting be damned!
I didn’t have anything to make a toile from (I could have toiled the bodice, but I am quite attached to that other bit of jersey and want to make a t-shirt from it), so I went for it and hoped for the best. The only modification I made was to lengthen the bodice by about 1-2″ – I just did this by continuing the size four side lines down to the end of the largest size. As I have a super long body, I thought this would be a prudent measure, but looking at the photos of the back in particular, I think I’ve gone overboard. I don’t think the back looks this bad in real life, because I normally slouch, and having seen this picture, I still love this dress.
Aside from that, I think the fit has turned out well. I have wrinkles above my boobs from the armpits, which I should probably investigate a bit more, but I’m sure I have them on all t-shirts, so I’m not that worried.
This is the comfiest thing I have ever worn, and I am really pleased that I got around to making this pattern up. I’ve found this is the perfect dress for most occasions – I can wear it at work, as a day dress or out in the evening. I don’t think this will be the last time I make it. It goes really well with my new rtw blazer, too.